Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

I'm Back

Life is still rolling on here at my house. And I'm glad to still be a part of it.
So where have I been for the last month?
At the bottom of the pit.
Confession time: I've been struggling with postpartum depression since Alex was born. It started off small, just the weepies and an occasional sad day. It was easy to hide; I could act like everything was terrific for days at a time (or sometimes just hours), and then fall apart when I was alone. But it started spiraling downward at the end of July and I finally hit bottom.
It's been a rough journey, and there were a lot of days I didn't know if I was going to see the next one. I've been taking each day one at a time, some days one hour at a time. The scale has been tipping lately, and I have more good days than bad. 
My family's been wonderful through all this. Lots of hugs, lots of prayers, lots of help. 
I've been fully immersing myself in the healing benefits of crochet, mostly simple, monotonous patterns that work up quickly and give me a sense of accomplishment. On the bad days, I couldn't get dressed or eat, but I could make a stack of preemie hats and feel better.
I've done a lot of cross stitching, too, also very therapeutic. The tactile sensation of the thread and the focus of inserting the needle in and out of the squares quieted my muddled thoughts and soothed my focus.
And so here I am. I'm getting caught up on my blog reading and the 52 Week Crochet Challenge, and I'll have some pictures for you in the next few days. You'll laugh when you see all the hats! I didn't start counting until last week and I was shocked at how many there were.
I hope all is well in your corner of the world.
Thanks for reading.
Blessings :-)

9 comments:

  1. Welcome back. Told you we would be here! I've gotten into restoring/finishing vintage quilts while you were away. Also, I found my love letters to my parents written when I moved to The Netherlands at the age of 31 in 1979. Please enjoy reading them on my Wetcreek Blog. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are back and starting to feel better. It's wonderful to have a supportive family to lean on. Thinking of you and hoping each day will get better and better. Hugs, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm so happy you will be back to blogging soon. I do hope and pray you will feel better soon. It's so good to have family to help out too. Crocheting is great therapy. Hang in there.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear you have been unwell Kate, I'm so glad you are back and are feeling better! what would we do without crochet. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate - I'm glad to see you back and feeling better. (((hugs to you))) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear you've been feeling that way. Hang in there! This will pass. Glad you had some crochet therapy to help some. Your bloggy friends are all here cheering you on. Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to hear that things are getting better Kate.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you posting again..don't be afraid to ask for help dealing with your depression...bad things can happen if one tries to brush it off..trust me I know..many hugs and prayers ..

    ReplyDelete