Search This Blog

Friday, June 27, 2014

Challenge #17: Summer Project

This week's challenge for the 52 Week Crochet Challenge hosted by Red Berry Crochet is to celebrate the first day of summer by making a beach or summer project.

I'm not a beach person and now live several hours from any beach, so I made a couple quick summer projects instead.
 Three different sun hats for the Bean. She needs something to shade her face when we take our evening walks.
The Summer Sun Hat from AnnaVirginia Fashion was the simplest to make. I followed the pattern almost exactly, just eliminated round 10 so it wouldn't be too tall. It's a little big so she can wear it all summer. It's made with Bernat Handicrafter Cotton in Grape.
The Granny Stitch Sun Hat from My Merry Messy Life took a couple tries. It's not a difficult pattern, but I had trouble with the gauge. It's supposed to be for a 3-6 month infant and calls for a G hook. After working the brim and a couple rounds of the granny stitch with a G, I realized it was way too small for Alex. I pulled it out and started over with an H. Better, but it won't fit her for long. I stopped working the granny stitch at round 11 so it wouldn't be too tall. I also changed the brim pattern a little. I wanted more ruffle so after round 3, I did one round with two half double stitches in each stitch. It's made with Red Heart Super Saver in Sunshine Print and Bright Yellow (that may not be the exact name but it's close).
The Baby Ruffled Sun Hat was a fun pattern; I like the cross stitches. It came out too short, but several people on Ravelry said they had to add a round or two to make it tall enough; that's what I ended up doing. I added one extra round of cross stitches. I probably should have added two, but I still like it. It's made with an unknown pink and white variegated baby weight yarn. 

Any plans for a beach or summer crochet project in your future?

Thanks for reading.
Blessings :-)

Today's Inspiration



8 comments:

  1. Cute! Most of the time I have to adjust patterns also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think anything would look cute on her. Hats are a great idea to shade her from the hot sun.
    Beca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little Bean is adorable with her hats on. So sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! Your hats turned out great, but especially love the purple one, too cute! Hope you are having a great day. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute hats Kate. Your model is adorable.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute little model, she looks so sweet in her beautiful hats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful little hats. And such a sweet model.

    ReplyDelete