Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A New Recipe, TUSAL, and Starts #18-20

We tried a new recipe last night: Sausage and Veggie Stew. A can of beef broth, a can of stewed tomatoes and a cup and a half of water were brought to a boil on the stove. I added two cups of frozen diced potatoes, a package of cocktail sausages, and a bag of mixed vegetables. Once it started boiling again, I put a lid on the pan and let it simmer for ten minutes. It was delicious!

On a scale of 1-10: 8
What I liked: Ease of preparation, good flavor
What I'll change for next time: Cut the cocktail sausages in half before adding them, use diced tomatoes instead of stewed (that was Hope's recommendation because she didn't like the big tomato chunks.)
I have another new recipe in the crockpot for tonight's dinner. I hadn't planned on two new recipes in one week, but we had to rearrange our dinner menu because of schedules. I'll let you know how tonight's experiment is.

It's TUSAL time, hosted by It's Daffycat. On or about the new moon, I take a picture of my collected orts (leftover threads and yarn scraps from WIPs and FOs) and post it. Why? Because it shows progress, especially if you're slow like me and take a long time to finish things.
My thread ort jar is off to an impressive start thanks to all my starts for the SDUCJFC.
My yarn ort jar isn't too bad either; no crochet finishes yet this month, but I've been doing a lot of piecework. Working every day on my 2015 blanket helps fill the jar.

I have three more cross stitch starts under my belt:
#18: Women Are Like Tea Leaves
Stitched a little of the teapot

#19: Horse of a Different Color
Started stitching the belly

#20: Last Minute
Stitched some of the hourglass sand.
This one is interesting because it calls for half stitches for the sand. 
Makes for fast stitching.

Thanks for reading and looking.
Blessings :-)

Today's Inspiration

Photo Credit


17 comments:

  1. That stew looks yummy Kate. I want to try that. I love all your new starts. If possible, can you put the name of the designers on them when you post. (Ya know I don't have enough starts planned) lol Your ort jars look great.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you click on the challenge tab, you'll see all the starts planned out with the designer's name and the chart info. They're in order of how I'm doing them. But, from now on, I'll put the info in the post as well :-) Thanks; I hope you enjoy the soup when you make it.

      Delete
  2. Wow! So many projects! I wish you good luck and speedy fingers! Great progress on the ORT jars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) Certainly need speedier fingers!

      Delete
  3. I love easy recipes too. I don't understand why you would save the threads left over from projects! I have a small trash can beside my chair for mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think of them as proof of progress if you're a slow crocheter. They're proof I'm actually crocheting even if I don't have anything to show for it. The yarn ends do get thrown away at the end of the year (unless I use them as amigurumi stuffing or toss them to the birds); the thread ends get put in a glass Christmas ornament and labeled with the year. I know; people save weird things :-)

      Delete
  4. That recipe looks yummy Kate, great to see you are still collecting your scraps I have another big jar nearly full to the top. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda :-) Looking forward to seeing your ort jar!

      Delete
  5. Great projects! Love the color in the ORT jars. That recipe looks fabulous. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love recipes that are quick and easy. Your ORT jars look lovely and those threads are colorful. You have some great starts to your WIP's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Thanks, Carolyn :-) I have been using a lot of color this year.

      Delete
  7. What a fantastic quick recipe. Thanks for sharing. Love both your ORT jars and a great start all all three of your new projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That stew looks great! Love the jars as well. I have a bag of yarn ends , might put them in a jar as it looks so encouraging. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was yummy :-) The ends are so pretty in a jar. I'd love to see your ort progress.

      Delete
  9. Love the zebra, I think you should just stitch the White and make him a turquoise striped zebra!

    ReplyDelete